Thursday, October 1, 2009

Geometric




Alexander McQueen Resort 2010
(All photos: Style.com)

I was doing research today of prints since I'm working on the designs for the Spring/Summer 2011 line for our sleepwear brand Tokyo Rose, and fell upon these innovative pieces. I have this sort of affinity for geometric things because I like consistency and symmetry can be quite gorgeous, although asymmetry is giving us a run for our money these days. Anyways, in order to design repeated prints, there needs to be some sort of consistency and balance to make a print 'repeat' itself. The second photo with the insect-like print is just awesome. She looks like a man-eating fly with that thing on.

Designed by: me

So, last season I designed this swirly print, which I originally hand drew and inputted into the computer and diddled with it to make it workable as a repeat. It took me a very long time and eventually I gave up and scrapped the idea. This season, I decided to revive it and make a few color changes and what not, and as you may know, I've been highly inspired by the Woodstock era lately, which explains my choice in color. The lines are hardly rectilinear, but regardless, this is my ode to geometry. I hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment